Monday, January 16, 2012

Making Your Own Key Ring





                                                                                                                                                           I have always admired my sister's classy key ring.


I have been wanting to make one for myself, but never had a real reason to do so. I decided to make myself one a few days ago, now that I am driving, and put keys on it as I acquire them. 

When we made my sister's, we had an embroidery machine, but ours is broken so I needed to choose a different method.  This opened up options and so I decided freehand my initials on the ribbon.  Nice and rustic, don't you think?

Instructions:  (See following pictures )
  • Cut a 2 inch wide ribbon about 12 inches long (lengthen an inch or two for a longer name). 
  • Choose a thick thread* (about three strands of a normal spool).
  • Fold the two ribbon ends down about 1/4 inch on each end.  
  • Line the two folded edges up together evenly. Pin.
  • Make a knot in the thread and start your knot on the folded, inner raw edge (so it is unseen), and bring your needle straight up through to the top.
  • Sew all the way around, pivoting at the corners, and when you reach the top, pivot about 1/4-1/2 inch before the end which makes a small casing for the key ring to slip through.
  • For your name or initials, you will find the middle of the rectangle and write your name in chalk or a washable pin.  Start writing the middle letter first (unless you are writing in cursive**). Working out to the sides.  The reason you write the middle letter first is because it makes it easier to center the name properly.
*I used embroidery thread and separated it in half.
**For cursive: write your name in chalk and start at the beginning-end. .




Start by folding down each end by 1/4 inch.


Make a knot and start your seam in the folded edge. (You can hide your knot under the folded edge.)


Do a basic running stitch (in and out) making each stitch roughly the same length. At this point the front and back will look the same. 


(Back of finished key tag)
Sew a rectangle, pivoting at each corner.  When you make it to the folded edge, turn your stitch line about 1/4-1/2 inches away from the edge. 




Finished project!  You should go personalize your key chain, too!

1 comment: